November 19, 2011
November 18, 2011
November 17, 2011
Great insights into what it takes to build a business from scratch. Some of the nuggets:
- Frustration of sitting on the sidelines while success stories kept popping up was the motivation.
- Stop talking and start doing was the motto.
- Technology afforded an ability to create a business more efficiently and cheaper than ever before.
- “Instead of worrying about what we didn’t know–giving us an excuse to NOT move forward–we worked through it.”
- “Be ready for surprises. Take on challenges one at a time and don’t let one issue steer the entire ship off course.”
- Put your money on the line. “Until that money is laid out on the line, you will continue to let time, work, family, friends, weekends, and relationships push back a potential gold mine of an idea.”
- “…this idea, this side business, this grandiose figment of a plan, had somehow transformed into more than just an investment of our money–it was an experience.”
- “I set a goal of getting at least 10 “no’s” each day–that way I knew I was working hard enough.”
- “Regarding publicity–I would argue that having a solid online campaign is more successful these days than the traditional route of magazines, newspapers, and television.”
- “Sometime into the process, we agreed that if we could create something together that we were proud of, whether or not external influences agreed with us, it would be a success. If we came away with nothing more than a great story of our semi-successful business venture, we were already a success.”
Share your startup stories.
November 16, 2011
Fast Company’s article Generation Y Is Born To Startup outlines top tips for today’s budding entrepreneurs, plus a great little TEDx speech from one of the individuals making it happen.
November 16, 2011
Watch Steven Johnson’s video for insights into how ideas are formed, collide, and mingle together. This is one of the prime reasons for the creation of The Big Plate – to give entrepreneurs, innovators and artists a forum and community to explore and share ideas and create new connections.
Thanks for being a part of the serendipity.
November 15, 2011